Photo.& Video Credit: Tobe Carey
On Saturday, May 14, 2022, hundreds of demonstrators in Kingston NY, joined with hundreds of thousands across the county in support women’s freedoms and to protest the overturning of Roe v. Wade. The event was organized by Hudson Valley Strong and Indivisible Ulster, in collaboration with Women’s March, Planned Parenthood, Ultra Violet, NARAL, SEIU, and Move On.
Local Media Coverage:
Facetime Live Video:
Let’s continue to strengthen NY as a Sanctuary State for abortion rights and access!*
Please contact your legislators about these important bills.
- NYS Equality Amendment (S8797): The proposed amendment to Article 1 (Bill of Rights) of NY State’s Constitution would give every person full and equal rights under the law and fill in the gaps in the existing constitutional language, which fails to fully reflect a commitment to inclusive equal rights. It explicitly includes pregnancy and pregnancy outcomes, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in its protections. A companion Assembly bill is being fine-tuned.
- Freedom and Equity Program bill (A10148): This González-Rojas bill, along with Senator Cleare’s as yet unnumbered companion bill, would create a state abortion fund that would ensure that providers get resources through the Department of Health to cover the potential influx of people coming to the state to receive care.
- New York Abortion Access Fund (S758/A1926): This Biaggi/Reyes bill would establish a NY Abortion Access Fund and permit taxpayers to voluntarily contribute to it on their state income tax return form.
Bills Offering Legal Protections for Abortion:
- FIRE HATE ACT (S90309/A10094): Modifies civil-rights law to empower people to sue in New York State Supreme Court if their home state tries to criminalize them for receiving abortion or gender affirming care here.
- Three Krueger/Lavine bills for protecting providers: S8777/A9627, S8778/A9615, S8779/A9613
(The NY Senate is also working on provider protection bills, which are considered high priority in these waning days of the legislative session.)
*Thanks to IndivisibleCD16 for the updated info.